Not only do they help us check our appearance before leaving the house, but they can also be used as a design element to enhance the overall look of your space. They reflect light, making rooms appear brighter and larger, and can be used to create interesting visual effects.
Decorative wall mirrors for the living room are an excellent way to add a touch of style and elegance to your home. If you want or have one, we’ll tell you all you need to know about wall mirrors so you can use yours to your interior design’s advantage.
The Types of Decorative Wall Mirrors
Framed MirrorsFramed mirrors are those that have a border or frame around the edge of the glass. Because of their frames, these mirrors come with an added layer of sophistication and elegance. They are available in various styles, designs, and materials to suit different themes of decor. Most factory-manufactured mirrors have plastic frames, but you can go for classic wooden frames or opt for modern metallic finishes like gold or silver to match your style. A wooden frame mirror adds warmth and elegance to any space, while a metal-framed mirror creates an industrial feel. If you want something more modern or minimalist, you can opt for a sleek plastic frame. Whichever material you select, all framed decorative wall mirrors can be hung as a centerpiece in the living room or used as part of a gallery wall.
Unframed MirrorsUnframed mirrors, on the other hand, don't have any sort of border or frame around them. They're just a simple sheet of glass, but they offer simplicity and minimalism in their design, creating an illusionary effect that makes your space feel brighter and more spacious. They offer a sleek and modern look that can complement any interior style. These mirrors come in different shapes and sizes and you can choose one depending on your preference. They are perfect for adding depth to a small space or making a statement in a larger one. Since they don't have frames, it's easier to match them with other decor elements such as curtains or accent pillows. They can also blend seamlessly with other pieces of furniture in your living room.
Different Shapes of Decorative Wall Mirrors
Rectangular Wall MirrorsThese mirrors have the widest coverage so they’re the most common and popular option on the market. They’re great for creating a modern or classic look depending on how they’re used. They can be hung horizontally above a fireplace or vertically behind a sofa to create an illusion of height.
Round Wall MirrorsThese have a softer edge than rectangular mirrors and add an interesting focal point to any room. These mirrors offer great versatility in styling since they work well with any decor style from rustic farmhouse to shabby chic. They also create curves that complement sharp angles and straight lines to balance out your space.
Oval Wall MirrorsThe oval shape is perfect for creating an elegant and timeless feel in your living space. It has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its minimalist and functional design. Mirrors in this shape come in a range of sizes, so you can find one that fits perfectly with the rest of your furniture.
Geometric Wall MirrorsIf you are looking to add multiple mirrors on your wall, geometric shapes such as hexagons or diamonds are also worth considering. Several pieces of them together, especially when fitted next to each other like a puzzle, can create an eye-catching collage of mirrors that would certainly provide visual interest to your living room.
Asymmetrical Wall Mirrors
For those who love bold statement pieces, asymmetrical or irregular shaped mirrors can be a great choice. These unconventional designs create a unique aesthetic that can show your personality and funky side.
Placement Tips on How to Position Your Decorative Wall Mirrors in Your Living Room
1. PurposeDetermine the main purpose of the mirror. Will it be used for its functions, such as checking your outfit before leaving the house, or is it solely for decoration? If it’s functional, place it near an entryway or near your closet. If it’s purely decorative, choose a spot that will reflect light and create an illusion of space.
2. SizeConsider the size of your decorative wall mirror compared to the wall in your living room. If you have a large mirror, it’s best to place it on a spot that doesn’t have too much going on around it. This will allow the mirror to be the focal point of the room without it being overcrowded or overwhelmed by the surrounding ornaments and furniture. On the other hand, if you have a small mirror or multiple ones to hang together, they can be arranged in creative ways such as in groupings or diagonally across from each other.
3. HeightAnother key factor is height. When hanging the mirror on the wall, make sure it is at eye level for most people. This will ensure that everyone can appreciate its beauty without straining their necks. Check that the bottom edge of your mirror hangs no lower than 4-6 inches above any furniture or tabletops below it.
4. ReflectionAnother aspect to think about is what exactly you want your decorative wall mirror for living room to reflect. Placing it across from a window, couch, or another interesting focal point can create depth and interest.
5. ArrangementAnother tip is to use multiple mirrors instead of just one. Grouping small mirrors together is a fun way to create an art gallery feel in your living room while also providing dimension to your space.
If you’re looking to give your living room a quick and easy update, wall mirrors are your perfect additions. They can both be useful and enhance the aesthetic appeal of the space. They can be used as functional pieces to help brighten up dark spaces or simply as decorative accents to add some flair to your walls.
The mirrors at Hunt Country Furniture should be a good match for your living room. They can instantly brighten up any area, create depth in a room, and give it a more polished look. When you have your own mirror, you can certainly be the fairest of them all.