Wooden furniture gives your space a timeless look, but without proper care, your furniture won’t be as timeless.
It’s true that wooden furniture is often considered to be more delicate than other types of furniture because of its natural material. It requires regular maintenance in order to extend its lifespan. On the other hand, even wooden furniture items can last for decades when you make it a habit to always clean them and keep them in good condition.
Before you crush out this kind of furniture from your interior design list because you don’t know the right furniture care, here are 14 easy and quick ways to take care of your wooden furniture so you can enjoy the comfort of wood without the hassle.
- Dust your furniture regularly with a soft cloth. This will remove any buildup of dirt or dust and will also prevent scratches.
- If your furniture has a shiny finish, use a slightly damp rag to clean it. Be sure not to get the rag too wet, as this could damage the finish and the wood itself. Dry it off immediately afterwards with another cloth.
- If your furniture has a matte finish, use a feather duster or a dry cloth for cleaning.
- If your furniture has a wax finish, be careful not to use too much pressure when dusting or cleaning. Only use gentle strokes because excessive force can remove the wax and leave the wood unprotected.
- To clean liquid spills on wood furniture, blot the liquid with a soft rag or paper towel immediately. Do not scrub or wipe the spill for this can damage the finish and the fluid would seep deeper into the wood. Dab the towel or cloth until the spill is gone.
- If your furniture becomes dirtier than usual, use a mild detergent or wood cleaner and a soft brush to clean it. Be sure to test the cleaner in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove dirt and dust from the cracks and crevices of your furniture.
- If your furniture is stained, use an appropriate cleaner according to the type of stain (i.e., alcohol for ink stains, vinegar for coffee stains, etc.). Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials on your wood furniture as these can damage the finish and cause discoloration.
- To remove any scratches or blemishes on regular wood furniture without finish, use a fine-grit sandpaper and lightly sand the area until it’s smooth.
- If there are any major stains, spots, or scratches on lacquered furniture, use a wood cleaner or polish to help restore the finish. Follow the instructions on the bottle carefully. Just be sure to test the polish in a small area first to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.
- Furbish your furniture every few months with a good quality furniture polish to protect the finish and keep it looking shiny and new.
- If you have pets or small children, be sure to place protective pads under all legs of your furniture to prevent scratches and other damages both on the furniture and on your floor.
- Avoid putting hot items or liquids on top of your wooden furniture as this can cause damage and discoloration of the wood over time. Use coasters and placemats whenever you need to place warm objects on your furniture.
- If possible, don’t place wooden furniture in direct sunlight or near heat sources, as constant heat proximity can damage the wood. It’s also best to keep wooden furniture indoors because the material is prone to weathering when exposed to the rain, changing seasons, and other elements.
Wooden furniture is a classic option for homeowners looking to add a touch of elegance and warmth to a room. If you want this rustic feel for your home, you must be prepared to take care of your wooden furniture pieces so they last a long time.
Cleaning and maintaining your wooden furniture aren’t difficult tasks, but it’s important to do these regularly in order to protect the wood from everyday wear and tear. By following these few guidelines, your furniture will endure longer and remain in good condition.
How do you take care of your wooden furniture? Share your furniture cleaning and maintenance tips below.
This is fantastic! what a blog it is! This webpage provides useful data to us, keep it up. And I would like to thanks for this information that I had been looking. Regards Floor polishing dubai
Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can’t wait to read lots of your posts. Thanks & Regards Floor polishing dubai
Extremely decent blog! I would like to thank you guys for sharing such a fantastic blog. Regards Cheap furniture polishing dubai
Extremely decent blog! I would like to thank you guys for sharing such a fantastic blog. Regards Best furniture polishing dubai
Awesome article with great information provided by your article, here I would like to thank you guys for sharing such a fantastic blog. Regards Wooden furniture polishing dubai